Anyway, I found a recipe for Gluten Free Mac n' Cheese from a blog called "Gluten Free Mommy" so I thought I'd give it a try.
Pre-heat over to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish*. Cook pasta according to directions, being careful not to overcook. For cheese sauce: heat butter on the stove and cook onion until translucent. Add rice flour, mustard, salt and pepper; stir until bubbly and smooth. Gradually add milk and cheese cubes. Whisk until cheese has melted and the sauce thickens. Combine cheese sauce with the pasta into casserole dish. Top with the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- I have a Pampered Chef baking dish I love which cannot be greased and worked really well. It may also be possible to use a smaller casserole, I was just afraid of overflow.
- I had dried onion left over as well as actual mustard so I used those since I hate to buy ingredients when I have something else that will work.
- Since I didn't have rice flour on hand and hate to buy something which can be substituted (as noted above) I used Pamela's Pancake Mix as thickener.
- For the topping I mixed Schar's breadcrumbs with the parmesan cheese with some leftover Sweet Potato Pop Chips left over
- I also had a little bit of canned pumpkin leftover from some weekend baking, so I added that as well.