Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Strawberry Cupcakes

One of the things I have missed the most since transitioning over to GF is the baking.. it was my "therapy". Any time I needed some stress relief, I would bake (which always made my co-workers and neighbors very happy).


But now baking entails googling GF baked goods and scouring magazines, books and blogs for ideas instead of the good ol' days when I could just choose any recipe and make it.  Nope, gluten free means having to weigh flours and add other things I have never heard of  before like arrowroot and agave syrup.


So my to get back into the groove of baking my first post will be:





Strawberry Cupcakes
(from Delight, Fall 2011)
Yields: 8
1/2 C. coconut flour
1 Tbsp. arrowroot powder* 
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 large eggs
1/4 C. agave nectar
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. finely chopped strawberries

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, arrowroot powder, salt, and baking soda.  In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, agave nectar, and vanilla.
  3. Blend wet ingredients into flour mixture with handheld mixture until thoroughly combined, then fold in strawberries.
  4. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean). Let the cupcakes cool for one hour, then frost and serve.


*Tip: While searching for arrowroot powder, I kept finding it in huge quantities, which I certainly didn't need. So after a final stop to my local health food store, I found they had jars of specific powders, etc and she scooped out 1/4 cup of it, weighed it and sold to me that way.  Cost me less than $1 for that 1/4 cup instead of  over $10 for huge bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment